English Smothered Steak
Vegetarian Swiss Steak
A favorite of our family, this vegetarian swiss steak can be created in a cast iron skillet, but using the crockpot or other slow cooker gives this dish a marinated flavor that will make your family ask for this often! It also cooks to a deliciousness in your oven.
Ingredients (Makes 8 servings)
- Select 2 pounds of one of the following:
- Gluten or Seitan
- prepared beef substitute (such as Gardein beef tips)
- 1/2 cup wheat flour
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 2 T paprika
- 4 T coconut oil
- 3 large each:
- green bell peppers
- red bell peppers
- 2 cups vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 10 cups diced tomatoes
- 4 cups cooked brown rice
- Prepare seitan (gluten) with beef flavored seasoning.
- Mix flour, cornmeal, and paprika.
- Dredge gluten in flour mixture
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Sauté gluten in the skillet, turning to brown evenly, until crisp.
- Alternatively, you may lightly oil a baking sheet.
- Bake at 350° about 20 minutes until medium golden brown, turning once.
- Remove gluten from skillet or baking sheet into a glass baking dish.
- Sprinkle with Worcestershire sauce to cover all pieces.
- Using the same oil in skillet, cook onions until soft and translucent.
- Add sliced peppers and sauté about 3 minutes more, until softened.
- Put gluten back into skillet with the onions and peppers.
- Add tomatoes.
- FINAL COOKING OPTIONS (choose one):
- Continue to cook in skillet on medium heat about 15 minutes to mix flavors and heat through.
- Put into glass baking dish. Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes.
- OR– Put into a large slow cooker. Cook on medium for 2 hours or on low for several hours until ready to eat.
- Serve over cooked brown rice. You may choose to serve over egg-style noodles, if you prefer.
Note: This recipe freezes well. You might decide to make a double batch and save half for another day. It also serves well as leftovers the next day. We often set the crockpot back on the second day and enjoy lunch!