Quinoa, pronounced “keen-wah” is an ancient superfood cultivated since at least 3000 BC. Technically a seed, we use it as a grain, much like rice or barley.
Usually organic, quinoa is high in protein, provides and is a complete protein containing all 9 essential amino acids. It’s gluten free, cholesterol free, and considered kosher for Passover.
Read: 27 Surprising Health Benefits Of Quinoa
Quinoa has a nice flavor all its own, but is also good combined with other foods. An added bonus is that it is quick cooking: it can be ready to serve in 10 to 15 minutes.
Our quinoa is cooked like rice, now what do we do with it?
You have many options as it is quite versatile. Season it lightly and enjoy it as a pilaf. Add some vegetables and you have a nice lunch or light dinner, easily completed with a lush green salad. Use it as a base for burgers and enjoy an entirely new flavor.
Try this Quinoa recipe…..
Baked Quinoa Patties
Prep: 10 minutes Cook: 30 minutes
Total: 40 minutes Servings: 8
• 5oz. pkg. Quinoa (or Quinoa & brown rice blend)
• 3 eggs (beaten)
• 1/3 cup onion (chopped)
• 2 small garlic cloves (diced)
• 2 cup chopped kale
• ½ cup gluten-free plain bread crumbs (or oats)
• 1 cup black beans
• 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
• ½ cup parmesan cheese (shredded)
• 4 tbsp olive oil
1. Preheat oven at 400 degrees F.
2. Follow pre-packaged quinoa’s cooking directions. In this case, it directs us to boil 1¾ cup water to boil, add contents of package, stir well, reduce heat to low, and cover for 14-15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat and let cool.
3. Dice onion and garlic cloves.
4. Place 2 tbsp olive oil into pan on medium heat and add chopped kale, onion, garlic, and lime juice. Sauté on medium heat for approximately 8 minutes or until colors deepen and onions are translucent. Remove from heat and let cool.
5. Beat 3 eggs in medium mixing bowl. Add quinoa and bread crumbs. Stir. In a separate mixing bowl, combine kale mixture, black beans, and shredded parmesan cheese. Combine both mixtures in medium mixing bowl. Stir well.
6. Use your hands to form 1½ inch thick patties. Smear 2 tbs olive oil on baking sheet or aluminum foil. Place each patty approximately 2 inches apart.
7. Bake at 400 degrees F for approximately 16 minutes, flipping halfway through. Remove patties when they reach a light golden color.
8. Serve hot with a side of greek yogurt dip and your favorite veggie burger.
Enjoy your healthy meal. You’ve earned it!
Other quinoa recipes can be found here.
Interested in making this recipe VEGAN, instead of vegetarian?
Use one of these substitutes for the eggs.
Substituting for the Cheese is equally easy. Try Nutritional Yeast, which is also rich in B vitamins!
Learn more about Quinoa and its nutrients here
This page, as well as this entire site, contains affiliate links. When you click on an affiliate link and make a purchase, I receive a small percentage to help maintain the site. Your cost remains the same. I only endorse products that I either use or have tested and feel confident are quality products.
Christmas Country Mom
Join our mailing list to
receive the latest news, updates, and special offers!