Looking for something to jazz up your next burger meal? Maybe you need a little special touch to your barbeque burger or as a topping to a vegetarian meat loaf? These Pickled Red Onions might be just what your family craves!
Pickling is a process that has been used since earliest history. Essentially, it uses anaerobic fermentation in brine or vinegar to preserve food. The resulting food can be stored for great lengths of time and the flavor will continue to develop.
Many natural health practitioners believe that these fermented foods actually aid digestion and are a healthy addition to our diets. Fermented foods act as detoxifiers for our digestive system and contain more probiotics than most probiotic supplements. These super-foods can actually help heal digestive issues and then help maintain a healthy, well regulated digestive system.
Some physicians believe that including fermented vegetables in your daily diet can actually assist your immune system in fighting debilitating diseases such as cancer and multiple sclerosis.
Pickled Red Onions
Prep: 5 minutes
Cook: 10 minutes
Total: 15 minutes
- 1 large red onion
- ¾ cup fresh lime juice
- ¾ cup distilled white vinegar
- 3 tbsp. sugar (optional, but does add flavor)
- 2 tsp. salt
- ½ jalapeno pepper
- Remove mixture from heat and cool for 5-10 minutes.
- Put onion slices in medium bowl, add warm mixture from pan, and stir.
- Cover mixture with lid and place in refrigerator for at least 4 hours. Stir occasionally!
- Serve with your most favorite burger or loaded soft tacos!